Dr. Harlan Ritchie a distinguished beef cattle scientists once said “Judging instills confidence in those people who may be timid and humbles those who tend to be conceited.”
Livestock judging is the evaluation of an animal’s characteristics and making a comparison to other animals and the ideal standard of that particular class. After evaluating each animal individually, a ranking is assigned to that class.
- Entry fee: None
- Dress Code: SRF Official Dress REQUIRED. To Judge on the Rail, you must be in SRF official attire.
- Individual and Team contest. Primary, Junior, Senior and Mixed age divisions. A mixed team would be entered at the level of the oldest participant. Club/Chapter may enter multiple judging teams & individuals per age division.
- A team will consist of three or four members. The team score will be the total of the three highest individual scores of members of the team.
- Contestants and or Teams must be registered 30 minutes prior to the start of the contest. No one is allowed in the judging area except judging teams (No Adults). NO CELL PHONES.
- Classes for the judging contest will be selected from available market animals and set up by the contest committee prior to the start of the contest.
- 10 minutes will be allowed to judge a class.
- Outside counties/schools will be permitted to “school” or “audit” the livestock judging contest for their educational benefit; however these FFA and 4-H groups will be ineligible for SRF awards.
- Only SRF participants will be allowed to judge on the rail. Auditing teams will judge from the stands.
- Awards will be given to the first three (3) places in Primary, Junior and Senior Divisions and high individuals for each age group.
Sponsor: Suwannee River Fair